Skip to main content

'It's not like Ibiza': Polo entrepreneur behind plan to turn part of Bondi Beach into a European-style club with an $80 entry fee insists he's not 'elitist'

A polo entrepreneur who plans to turn part of Bondi into an exclusive beach club with an $80 entry fee has defended his controversial proposal, insisting he isn't an 'elitist'.

Janek Gazecki made a proposal to Waverley Council to erect luxury cabanas roped off from the public over a 40 metre stretch of sand on Australia's most iconic beach.

But the former lawyer's goal to take over two per cent of the beach near Roscoe Street to serve expensive food and cocktails to 'high net worth' customers was met with swift backlash. 

'It's‌ ‌not‌ ‌elitist‌ ‌to‌ ‌give‌ ‌people‌ ‌an‌ ‌opportunity‌ ‌to‌ ‌enjoy‌ ‌the‌ ‌beach‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌different‌ ‌way. It's‌ ‌diversifying‌ ‌the‌ ‌use‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌beach,' Mr Gazecki told the Sydney Morning Herald. 

‌Waverley‌ ‌Council ‌initially‌ ‌rejected the proposal, deeming it ‌unsuitable, but staff are now considering allowing the exclusive beach club to go ahead.

Former lawyer and polo entrepreneur Janek Gazecki made a proposal to Waverley Council to erect luxury cabanas roped off from the public over a 40 metre stretch of sand on Bondi Beach. Pictured with wife Natalie

Former lawyer and polo entrepreneur Janek Gazecki made a proposal to Waverley Council to erect luxury cabanas roped off from the public over a 40 metre stretch of sand on Bondi Beach. Pictured with wife Natalie

Amalfi Beach Club have proposed to Waverley Council to put luxury cabanas (pictured) on Bondi Beach

Amalfi Beach Club have proposed to Waverley Council to put luxury cabanas on Bondi Beach

'We're‌ ‌certainly‌ ‌going‌ ‌to‌ ‌take‌ ‌this‌ ‌process‌ ‌very‌ ‌seriously,‌ ‌we're‌ ‌going‌ ‌to‌ ‌look‌ ‌at‌ ‌it‌ ‌very‌ ‌closely‌ ‌to‌ ‌make‌ ‌sure‌ ‌that‌ ‌it‌ ‌is‌ ‌being‌ ‌addressed‌ ‌rationally‌ ‌and‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌way‌ ‌that‌ ‌is‌ ‌procedurally‌ ‌correct,' he said. 

The ‌47-year-old‌ ‌father said that while his ambitious plan would encompass 'fine dining,' the beach club would still be casual. 

'It's‌ ‌family-friendly,‌ ‌it's‌ ‌not‌ ‌like‌ ‌an‌ ‌Ibiza‌ ‌club... ‌It's‌ ‌80‌ ‌bucks‌ ‌for‌ ‌food‌ ‌and‌ ‌alcohol‌ ‌effectively‌ ‌-‌ ‌cheaper‌ ‌than‌ ‌any‌ ‌restaurant‌ ‌in‌ ‌Bondi,' Mr Gazecki said. 

‌2GB radio host ‌Ben‌ ‌Fordham panned the idea last week, saying it's ‌'just‌ ‌not‌ ‌something‌ ‌we‌ ‌do‌ ‌in‌ ‌Australia,' while ‌‌The‌ ‌Project panelists‌‌ ‌‌described‌‌ ‌it ‌as‌ ‌'some‌ ‌wanky‌ ‌European-style‌ ‌beach‌ ‌club'.

But owner of Bondi's upmarket Icebergs Maurice‌ ‌Terzini has previously thrown his support behind Mr Gazecki's project, saying it is an ‌'an‌ ‌ideal‌ ‌solution'‌ ‌for‌ ‌a‌ ‌COVID-19‌ ‌safe‌ ‌restaurant.

'I‌ ‌strongly‌ ‌support‌ ‌the‌ ‌‌Amalfi‌ ‌Beach‌ ‌Club‌‌ ‌initiative‌ ‌and‌ ‌hope‌ ‌Council‌ ‌is‌ ‌able‌ ‌to‌ ‌amend‌ ‌whatever‌ ‌regulations‌ ‌it‌ ‌must‌ ‌to‌ ‌allow‌ ‌it‌ ‌to‌ ‌proceed,‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌interest‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌Bondi‌ ‌Beach‌ ‌community,'‌ Mr Terzini‌ ‌said in August.  

The plans would cover two per cent of the beach with exclusive lounges for wealthy customers separated from the public. Pictured: crowds at Bondi on Monday

The plans would cover two per cent of the beach with exclusive lounges for wealthy customers separated from the public. Pictured: crowds at Bondi on Monday

A beach club promotional brochure said it's‌ geared towards ‌locals ‌'who‌ ‌wish‌ ‌to‌ ‌experience‌ ‌their‌ ‌favourite‌ ‌beach‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌luxurious‌ ‌hospitality‌ ‌context,‌ ‌as‌ ‌well‌ ‌as‌ ‌the‌ ‌high‌ ‌end‌ ‌demographic‌ ‌from‌ ‌greater‌ ‌Sydney,‌ ‌within‌ ‌the‌ ‌30‌ ‌to‌ ‌60‌ ‌age‌ ‌demographic'.‌ ‌ ‌ 

The elite location will host 100 guests in a European-style beach club set up from Thursdays to Sundays, similar to exotic locations in Spain, Croatia and the Greek Islands.

The plans feature 20 sun lounges, 10 cabanas and four booths being serviced by private waiters.

A two-hour booking in the cabanas costs $80, with food and drinks not included. 

There are several issues facing the proposal, including Bondi Beach being an alcohol-free zone and a council policy that does not allow events on the sand during December and January.

Waverley Council denied a prior proposal in May for the club to run from November to February, but has since received a second application to operate from February to May, which is being reviewed.

Proposal documents seen by the Wentworth Courier show the business plans to exclusively target a wealthy clientele in their demographic.

'Our database constitutes a select demographic comprising of individuals enjoying a high disposable income, within the 25 to 45 age bracket, with an interest in travel, fashion and luxury goods,' the document reads. 

Waverley councillor Sally Betts said the exclusive plans block out many Bondi locals. 

'I know the beautiful people will love it and the beautiful people do use Bondi Beach but so do the peasants like you and me,' she said.

'We don't want to take a bit of the beach and say 'this is only for the people who can afford it'.'

While a petition in favour of the beach club has more than 600 signatures, many locals have come out against the proposal. 

The council are deliberating with the businesses plans due to issues with hosting the high end location on public land. Pictured: crowds enjoy the sunshine at Bondi on Monday

The council are deliberating with the businesses plans due to issues with hosting the high end location on public land. Pictured: crowds enjoy the sunshine at Bondi on Monday

More than 600 people have signed a petition in favour of the plans, but many locals are unimpressed. Pictured: crowds pack over Bondi on Monday

More than 600 people have signed a petition in favour of the plans, but many locals are unimpressed. Pictured: crowds pack over Bondi on Monday

A similar club was erected on Adelaide's Glenelg Beach in 2017, with many supporters of the proposal claiming the set up would be perfect at Bondi.

'This is long overdue in Bondi,' one comment reads.

The plans sparked debate from naysayers over whether businesses should be allowed to privatise public land on the beach.

'To me it seems like you're taking public beach space which is free and wanting to turn a profit from it,' another post reads.

'While council will consider all event ideas and proposals put before it, we must also balance the needs of the greater community within this consideration,' a Waverley Council spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia.

'Our beaches and parks are public open spaces, for the enjoyment of everyone.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inside Paedophile Island: Incredible pictures show Jeffrey Epstein cavorting with scantily clad young women where he provided gourmet food and beauty lotions and spent hours watching topless teens in Girls Gone Wild 'for inspiration'

Jeffrey Epstein spent an hour of his day watching explicit episodes of Girls Gone Wild while working out and cavorting with nubile young women at his private Caribbean island, as seen in these photos exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com. The perverted financier, who committed suicide at age 66 in August 2019, would ride his exercise bike as he watched the X-rated footage -featuring bare-breasted college girls - because it was 'inspiration' for him, a source who spent time on the island told DailyMail.com. Epstein, who reportedly demanded sex three times a day, was transfixed by the graphic videos that showed young women flashing their breasts to the camera in bars and nightclubs.   New details of his sinister life have further been exposed in never-before-seen photographs of his private island Little St James, which was dubbed 'pedophile' and 'orgy' island by disgusted locals. Epstein appears in the series of images surrounded by nubile young women, including s...

The HS2 money pit: Ministers are told first stage of high-speed rail line may cost another £800m... six months after a budget increase saw total costs soar by £20.6bn to £43billion

Ministers have been told that Phase One of controversial rail line HS2 could cost £800million more than planned. It comes just six months after a budget increase saw total predicted costs for the first stage of the high-speed line soar by £20.6billion to £43billion. In a written statement to Parliament, HS2 Minister Andrew Stephenson said half of this figure is due to preparation of the route for construction involving 'more significant challenges than anticipated'. This includes the need to remove more asbestos than expected. Another 'significant cost pressure' worth £400 million has also been identified during the development of designs for Euston station. Mr Stephenson warned that further investigation is being carried out which 'could identify further pressure'. Ministers have been told that Phase One of controversial rail line HS2 could cost £800million more than planned. Pictured: HS2 Minister Andrew Stephenson The HS2 route would initially link London and...

Missouri police resume search for body of mother, 28, believed to have been 'suffocated by her husband who wanted to stop her fleeing to her native China with their daughter' a year ago

A year after a young Chinese mother living in Missouri with her family vanished without a trace, police have resumed the search for her body.  Mengqi Ji Elledge, 28, was reported missing by her husband, Joseph Elledge, on October 10, 2019. He was charged in February with first-degree murder in her death and has pleaded not guilty. The couple has a young daughter together. Joseph has been accused of suffocating his wife to death and disposing of her body in order to prevent her from returning to her native China with their child and to avoid a costly divorce.    Police in Missouri are renewing their efforts to locate the body of Mengqi Ji Elledge, 28, who went missing last October and is presumed dead. Her husband, Joseph Elledge, was charged in February with first-degree murder in her death Police had searched for Mengqi's remains with divers, sonar and heavy machinery at the Lamine River near Booneville after cadaver dogs hit on a scent there Police had searched for her remains wi...