Skip to main content

Dozens of migrants are picked up by Border Force after making Channel crossing in dinghies for the first time this month during break in the bad weather

Dozens of migrants trying to reach the UK have been picked up by Border Force officers for the first time this month.

The adults attempting to reach Kent were in small crafts after setting off in a break in the terrible weather that has been plaguing the area. 

Smugglers in Calais had put them into a number of small boats, including rigid hulled inflatable boats and dinghies, for the 27 mile journey.

But they were picked up in the English Channel by Border Force vessels sent out to intercept them. 

It comes as proposals being worked on by the Home Office suggested migrants attempting to cross the Channel could be held on disused ferries. 

The migrants were intercepted as they attempted to make the perilous journey to the UK

The migrants were intercepted as they attempted to make the perilous journey to the UK

The trip from Calais is perilously dangerous and use small boats and dinghies most times

The trip from Calais is perilously dangerous and use small boats and dinghies most times

They were intercepted by border force and brought to the shore by government boat

They were intercepted by border force and brought to the shore by government boat

The idea to use boats to house asylum seekers before they land on British shores formed part of leaked Home Office plans last week.

Government sources earlier insisted that the ideas were only ever considered in brainstorming sessions, and complained that they are being leaked to damage ministers.    

However, it now appears the ferries plan - which could take several months to go through - may actually form part of the Government's blueprint to get to grips with migration. 

Unconfirmed reports today claimed between 50 and 60 were picked up by Border Force in the latest interception.

One boat with 13 people on board was less than half a mile off the Kent coast.

They were brought to St Margaret's Bay on the White Cliffs after it was intercepted by the Border Force vessel Speedwell.

Another boat was reportedly picked up six miles off Dover in the early hours.

Smugglers in Calais had put them into a number of small boats for the 27 mile journey

Smugglers in Calais had put them into a number of small boats for the 27 mile journey

One boat with 13 people on board was less than half a mile off the Kent coast

One boat with 13 people on board was less than half a mile off the Kent coast

The boat intercepted the vessel in the Channel before accompanying it into custody

The boat intercepted the vessel in the Channel before accompanying it into custody

Until now the last crossing was made on September 30 when 23 people in two boats were detained, taking the total for the month to 1,954.

Bad weather since then has made the treacherous 21 mile trip too dangerous to attempt.

Although 15 migrants had to be rescued on Monday night after getting into difficulties off Dunkirk in France and had to be rescued by French authorities.

A total of 7,117 have already made the crossing so far this year.

The Home Office has been looking at a number of places migrants could be held if they are caught crossing the Channel - including disused ferries.    

Government sources had insisted the ideas - which were leaked last week - were only part of a brainstorming session.

But a source told The Sun: 'There is a real determination to tackle this problem and things are now moving forward. The ferry plan is on. It's happening.'

Officials were told to begin discussions about buying two unused boats to turn into processing centres and keep off the coast of Portsmouth, sources said.

Some £6million could buy the Home Office a 40-year-old ferry which could house 1,400 asylum seekers, The Times reported.

Approval to house migrants in ferries has not been granted, a Home Office spokesperson said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inside Paedophile Island: Incredible pictures show Jeffrey Epstein cavorting with scantily clad young women where he provided gourmet food and beauty lotions and spent hours watching topless teens in Girls Gone Wild 'for inspiration'

Jeffrey Epstein spent an hour of his day watching explicit episodes of Girls Gone Wild while working out and cavorting with nubile young women at his private Caribbean island, as seen in these photos exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com. The perverted financier, who committed suicide at age 66 in August 2019, would ride his exercise bike as he watched the X-rated footage -featuring bare-breasted college girls - because it was 'inspiration' for him, a source who spent time on the island told DailyMail.com. Epstein, who reportedly demanded sex three times a day, was transfixed by the graphic videos that showed young women flashing their breasts to the camera in bars and nightclubs.   New details of his sinister life have further been exposed in never-before-seen photographs of his private island Little St James, which was dubbed 'pedophile' and 'orgy' island by disgusted locals. Epstein appears in the series of images surrounded by nubile young women, including s...

The HS2 money pit: Ministers are told first stage of high-speed rail line may cost another £800m... six months after a budget increase saw total costs soar by £20.6bn to £43billion

Ministers have been told that Phase One of controversial rail line HS2 could cost £800million more than planned. It comes just six months after a budget increase saw total predicted costs for the first stage of the high-speed line soar by £20.6billion to £43billion. In a written statement to Parliament, HS2 Minister Andrew Stephenson said half of this figure is due to preparation of the route for construction involving 'more significant challenges than anticipated'. This includes the need to remove more asbestos than expected. Another 'significant cost pressure' worth £400 million has also been identified during the development of designs for Euston station. Mr Stephenson warned that further investigation is being carried out which 'could identify further pressure'. Ministers have been told that Phase One of controversial rail line HS2 could cost £800million more than planned. Pictured: HS2 Minister Andrew Stephenson The HS2 route would initially link London and...

Kourtney Kardashian cries

Kourtney Kardashian cries Scott really lets Kourtney know how he feels about her post-baby body on the Mar. 10 episode of ‘Kourtney & Kim Take Miami’ episode and he tells her he wishes she weighed 93 pounds! Kourtney Kardashian bursts into tears when her baby daddy Scott Disick tells her that “this is the biggest he’s ever seen her while not pregnant.” The Mar. 10 episode of Kourtney & Kim Take Miami really shows you Scott’s true colors and it ain’t pretty. Kourtney weighs herself in the bathroom and the scale reads 115 lbs. That’s amazing, especially considering she had just given birth to her second child, a little girl named Penelope! But Scott says that he remembers when he first met Kourtney and wishes she weighed 93 lbs. Wow, what a total jerk. Big sis Kim Kardashian is there to hear all of it and she is disgusted! Then later Kourtney and Scott discuss her weight some more and he tells her that he feels like she isn’t really trying to lose the weight. This causes K...